Mike C wrote:
LMH wrote:
I currently have seamonkey 2.4.1 installed and it is possible that I
have had a security breach. I would like to re-install seamonkey, but I
need to be able to do that without losing my profiles (which are stored
on another drive from the seamonkey install folder).

Is there a tutorial on how to do this without needing to re-import
everything, which is a pain.

LMH

Your existing profiles may contain something you don't want.
Copying them and then putting them into a new installation may just
transfer the problem. (What IS the problem?)

You should be able to reinstall a new SM right over the old one.

BUT....I would create a new profile first and see if all is Ok there.

Mozbackup is a GREAT program. I've been using is for about 8 years!
It will back up your profile files instead of you doing it manually.
It will then restore the files to the new installation.

BUT... You need to explain what you mean by "security breach"?
Does someone know your passwords?
Do you have malware or a virus?
Is it only SM that's affected?

One of the reasons I use seamonkey is that it allows me to keep my profiles in any location I designate. I have my profiles in a location outside the seamonkey install directory, and off of the C: drive. These folders are backed up every night along with all of my other data (using rsync). If I restore my OS from an image, or something like that, my email and browser are usually not affected. The same goes for a full re-install of windows.

I haven't used mozbackup because I try to avoid relying on additional applications. My experience has been that simple file to file backups are the most dependable. All that said, using mozbackup in the manner suggested would not compromise the redundancy already in place. Worst case, I can always re-import my profiles, so I don't mind trying other solutions. I wish that seamonkey had a simpler import tool, like point to a folder and say "import this one", instead of running from the command line and all that.

I have a credit card that I use for online purchases only. That card recently had a string of fraudulent charges run up on it, all of which were online purchases from sites in Europe. My bank caught the charges and flagged them as suspicious, so they never got past the pending state. The charges have been canceled, along with the card. I am going through some due diligence to make sure my system here hasn't been compromised. Since these were online purchases, who ever used the card would have needed to know the card number, name as printed on the card, expiration date, card security number, and the entire correct billing address. The two easiest places to acquire this data are from one of the emerchants I made purchases from, or from my browser. There are very few emerchants I do business with, and most of them are very reputable (newegg, amazon, etc), but I still think an emerchant is the most likely source. Still, I think it makes sense to look at my browser.

It would be nice if there was a way to scan all of the browser components and do an MD5SUM to confirm that all of the .exe, .dat, and .dll files are unmodified. I'm not sure where to look in the profile folders to see if anything is amiss.

LMH