My bloviated meandering follows what Ed Mullen graced us with on 12/26/2011 6:45 PM:
On my Win 7 machine SM 2.6.1 is using the Modern Theme.

On my XP laptop 2.6.1 is using the Modern Theme.

On my wife's XP system SM 2.6.1 tells me the Modern Theme is incompatible with 2.6.1.

Huh?

The install.rdf files in the modern xpi are identical.

Is it able to be removed via the Add-ons screen? If so, it may have some how been manually installed from the previous version 2.6.0. You could try removing it and restarting to see if the intrinsic 2.6.1 theme is there afterward.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/