Geoff Welsh wrote:

CSS was in the standard as of 1999 and NOBODY (among web site
designers) cared until the iPhone came out.

Since you capitalized NOBODY, implying, well, nobody at all, I decided to reply. Your statement isn't true, as I (and many others) have been using CSS to design and lay out my web sites since CSS 1.0. I learned about it in the web-authoring newsgroups and began using it well before the last millennium was over.

It's nothing to do with the iPhone; it's lack of training for all those WYSIWYG web designers. My local community college advertised a web design class which I investigated several years ago. The prerequisite for students was "you must own a copy of Microsoft FrontPage" - and that was already after FrontPlague had been discontinued.

--
   -bts