TMitchell wrote:
Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
TMitchell wrote:
Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
Larry S. wrote:
Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
Ok guys, I need your help.

I have been hearing over the past few releases a few reports about
application.ini being missing.

Anyone who has experienced this recently can you please point me at a
update.log (last-update.log) etc. from when it happened.

I need that log to help diagnose why, since I have never hit it,
nor do
I know of any other developer who has.

That said, I just landed a patch on trunk today that should alleviate
much of this problem (by doing something pretty different), it may
not
fix this bug if it is just manifesting as application.ini and affects
other parts. It is also too risky of a change for any branch, so I'd
want to get a simpler fix in for 2.8 and 2.9

You asked for the update log in answer to a previous posting from me,
but you showed a path for W7. I've searched my XP SP3 and don't find a
file by that name. Any suggestions? Love to send it in if I could find
it!

Sorry for the delay here, my time got really squashed...

Anyway, on my machine its at:

C:\Documents and Settings\Justin\Local Settings\Application
Data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\SeaMonkey\updates

Where "Justin" is my windows username. And some of these folders are
marked "hidden".

Thank You.

I have experienced the "XUL Runner" error message box "Can't read
application .ini" every time I have tried updating since Ver.2.5
(frustrating enough so that I am about to switch to IE for the first
time ever, and I've been around since the pre-Netscape days), but I do
not have the file folder on my system that you referenced.

What OS are you on?

How do you update SeaMonkey?

How do you install SeaMonkey manually when its broken?

Be as specific as possible.

Windows XP SP3

I always update by downloading the latest version from the Seamonkey.org
website and running it's installer program.

I have not been able to install it at all since Ver 2.5. (I always have
to do a system restore using Acronis True Image) to get back there.)

These two paragraphs worry me and confuse me.

So you download the Setup .exe from our website, save it locally then try to run the installer. It doesn't work? (if so how do you get it) and then System Restore (why, what is the error message/problem to cause that)

As soon as the installer gets to the screen to finish and I select
"Launch Seamonkey", the screen flashes quickly (one time it looked like
a pop up was opened for checking extensions) ans then in less than a
second vanishes taking the newly installed desktop icon with it.
Subsequent attempts to launch bring the "XUIL Runner" error message.

It sounds like in your case this is a function of the former issue. (application.ini is certainly in in the .exe installer)

--
~Justin Wood (Callek)