Daniel wrote:
Larry S. wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Frog wrote:
I just finished going through a very traumatic event...having to
replace
my C Drive information with data from a September 11, 2011 backup. My
biggest loss during this change was my SeaMonkey
messages...bookmarks...addresses...and I'm sure more that I haven't
noticed at this time.

QUESTION
Is it possible to move SeaMonkey data/profile files to a drive other
than my C drive? I currently have all of SeaMonkey loaded on my C
drive.
My hard drive is partitioned into two drives--C and E. I would like to
move the above mentioned information/files to my E drive that contains
all of my other data files.

How does one accomplish such a move without making a total wreck of my
computer?

Also, what are the pros and cons of making such a move? What happens
when a new version is loaded on my computer?

Any thoughts, recommendations, guidance, or simple "how-to"
instructions
will be greatly appreciated.

Windows XP Pro SP3 SeaMonkey Version 2.7.2

Frog

Yes, Frog, it is....at one time I had my Windows set up so that C: only
had Windows system stuff, D: had programs and E: had all my user stuff
such as SeaMonkey Profile stuff.

1. Have a look at Edit->Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings, and select
Server Settings for your email accounts. This is where you profile is
now.

2. Close SeaMonkey.

3. Use your File Manager to create a folder at the new location you want
to have your profile. You may have noted your current profile location
has something like drfbghy.default in its route, it is not necessary to
have this, you could make the new location as simple as D:Profile or
even just D: (not recommended).

4. Go to the location that currently has your profile

5. Copy everything from this location to the new location.

6. Restart SeaMonkey, select Tools->Manage Profiles->Manage
Profile->Create Profile and, on the second screen, Give your new profile
a distinctive names and then select "Choose Folder" and go to where you
copied your profile to.

Report back if you have any problems.

This is half OT. I've had problems with the last several SM updates with
the result that I wind up with a new profile which is missing all my
saved data. Is there a way to recover a saved copy from an external HD
and use it, without having to keep the external HD running all the time
so the copy can be my "other" profile)? It should be blindingly obvious,
but somehow I'm missing it.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Larry

Yes, there is, Larry.

e.g. SeaMonkey keeps your received emails in one file called "inbox".
There is also an index file called "inbox.msf", which is not needed as a
new one is created when needed.

If you have an "inbox" file on your external drive, rename it so that it
does not write over the top of your current "inbox".

In SeaMonkey, have a look at Edit->Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings,
select "Server Settings" on your Mail Account and note the "Local
Directory" location. Under this location, you will find your current
"inbox". Copy your renamed inboxes to this location.

Restart SeaMonkey, and you should now see all the additional inboxes in
your mail profile. The new index files will be created when you access
the new inboxes.

HTH.

Very helpful! That does let me recover any "missing" mail, but it doesn't keep me from having to recreate all my mail and news accounts from scratch before I copy the file.

Guess there's no easy way to recover the entire profile. Bummer!

Thank you for the advice, though, as I wouldn't have just instinctively known that.

Larry