W3BNR wrote:
On 3/21/2012 9:38 PM Paul B. Gallagher submitted the following:
W3BNR wrote:

On 3/21/2012 9:06 PM NoOp submitted the following:
On 03/21/2012 05:43 PM, W3BNR wrote:
Can't view it in SM 2.8 with VLC Media Player (not downloadin), but it's
working
in IE with VLC;

<http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/webcast/>

Interesting. Works for me with Chromium (linux), but not SM, FF, or
Opera (linux). However, I can pretty much verify that that is most
likely a configuration issue as entering the video URL
(http://mfile.akamai.com/18569/live/reflector:59445.asx?bkup=32644)
directly into VLC fetches and plays the webcast just fine.

Thanks for the confirmation.  It would then appear to be a SM problem.

I had the same problem, and solved it, sort of:

I began by looking at Page Info in SeaMonkey, and discovered on the Media tab
that the file type was video/x-ms-asf. In the SeaMonkey prefs, I found that the
helper app for this file type was set to "Use VLC Web plugin (in SeaMonkey)." I
changed it to "Use VLC.asf (default)" and reloaded the URL. This launched the
freestanding player, and after about 30 seconds (as advertised at the NASA
site), the stream began playing.

However, after several minutes VLC popped up an error message saying:

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL
'mms://a1446.l1856959445.c18569.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1446/18569/v0001/reflector:59445'.
Check the log for details.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL
'mms://a645.l1856932644.c18569.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/645/18569/v0001/reflector:32644'.
Check the log for details.

Since the URL was still parked in the SM location bar, I just closed VLC and
went back and hit "Enter" to reload it. Didn't help -- VLC immediately generated
the same error message. Must be a problem at the source.

That may have been after about 9:30pm EDT when they cancelled the mission for
the night and shut down the video feed?

still has error. They shouldn't just shut off feed. They should have it switch to a static page saying connection not open.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com