Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Larry wrote:

Just upgraded from 2.8 to 2.9.1. I'm using the same profile I had
before the change, and all seems well except that I was forced to set
up new mail and news accounts, even though the mail folders are right
there in my profile but apparently aren't recognized. Consequently, I
have no mail history including a few important archives.

So, how did that happen? What can I do about it?

All advice will be gratefully received!

Check if you're using the same profile as before. If not, see if the
Profile Manager will let you access the old one. If so, set that as
default and delete the new one.

Switched to the old profile, and got some mail back. However, that profile (and thus the mail) was older, so not an ideal solution. Then, I set up a new profile, emptied it out (just two small files), and pasted into it the contents of my backup copy (made immediately before the upgrade). That worked!

Thank you for the suggestion, which set me on the correct path. You and others in this group are a great resource!