I have used Mozilla browsers on Linux since Netscape Navigator. I'm currently using Seamonkey 2.9.1, but I have noticed this problem for many versions.

If I go to a graphics intensive site like maps.google.com or www.zillow.com, Seamonkey saturates one of my processor's cores and it becomes very slow to respond. Specifically, on maps.google.com, changing from the map display to the satellite display is painfully slow. Zillow just saturates one of my processor's cores most of the time.

I thought it might be a problem with Seamonkey, so I tried Firefox. Same results.

I recalled Netscape 4.79 not having the problem, but I don't have the correct libraries to run it.

I tried Opera 11.64 this afternoon and it does NOT have the problem.

Apparently the code that does the graphics for Seamonkey/Firefox assumes one has a super-humongous gaming graphics card. I do not. I have an EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR Geforce 8600gt 256mb 128-bit, which isn't the slowest card on the market. Its specs are:

               Manufacturer:nVidia
               Series:GeForce 8
               GPU:G84
               Release Date:2007-04-17
               Interface:PCI-E x16
               Core Clock:540 MHz
               Shader Clock:1180 MHz
               Memory Clock:700 MHz (1400 DDR)
               Memory Bandwidth:22.4 GB/sec
               FLOPS:113.28 GFLOPS
               Pixel Fill Rate:4320 MPixels/sec
               Texture Fill Rate:8640 MTexels/sec

The performance I am seeing is not acceptable.

I like Seamonkey, particularly the way NoScript integrates with it. I'd rather not use Opera.

Is there any fix for this?

Thanks,

Craig