Those having rather recent or "sudden" extreme memory usage in Seamonkey, may want to try this possibility that HAS lessened or solved Firefox's similar memory problems.

It may work on SM as well, as it's not adjusting part of the browser itself, but instead adjusting Java via the Java Plug-In that most all browsers use, especially FF and SM.

====================================

<< Although the memory leak problem appears to have begun with the release of Firefox 12, it is actually not Firefox that is causing the problem. The problem is your friend and mine, Sun Java, whose concept of a "next-generation plug in" appears to be lag your computer to all hell.

Go to your control panel, double click Java, and review your settings.

There is an option [called] "Enable the next-generation java plug-in". Make sure you uncheck that.

This fixed my Firefox memory problem (similar to those problems posted) immediately.

You must disable the plug in through Java, it will override Firefox settings. I would like to end this by saying I have always hated Java, and regret that it is 2012 and that it is still in use. >>

*Does this Java related "fix" ruin or turn off Java usage in Firefox 12, or does it just "disconnect" a probably faulty part of Java ? >>
*

*Answer back states:
*

Hi, disabling this option has had no effect on my web browsing experience, other than

1.) halving the memory usage by firefox.exe
2.) prevent firefox.exe process from still running after I have closed all firefox windows and tabs