A couple of things that I've noticed about the Seamonkey news client, that I've seen across multiple versions. They're all minor annoyances, but I'm wondering if it's just me, or something that's known.

I'm currently running 2.10 on Windows 7.

In newsgroups, I normally set the display to show only threads with new messages, but I did some checking, and these things also happen with viewing of all threads enabled.

- Sometimes, I will have viewed all the threads in a newsgroup, and the newsgroups pane will show no messages in the pane, but where there are several threads that indicate there are new messages. The first message in the thread is viewable, but normally, the thread itself cannot be expanded. The only way to make these threads go away is to ignore the thread. "Mark Newsgroup Read" does not clear those threads

- I also occasionally have it happen where I've read all the threads, but where the newsgroups pane shows that there are unread messages in the newsgroup. As noted, this happens even if I've set the newsgroup to show all threads. I can clear the counts with "Mark Newsgroup Read".

I work from several news servers, and the only place I'm seeing these two items is the Usenet server at news.aioe.org. I wonder if there's anything that may be server-specific...?

- More recently, since the release of 2.9.0 (or maybe 2.8.0), I'm seeing instances where I ignore a thread, but later, if there's subsequent message traffic in that thread, all the new messages will be shown (and the oldest new post becomes the top of the thread), even if previous messages are not shown.

I just checked, and if I enable showing of ignored threads (with "show all threads" enabled), if the thread is collapsed, the message is underscored to indicate new traffic, but if I expand the thread, there are no new messages in the thread.

The place where I'm noticing this last item is mozilla.general, on the news.mozilla.org server, and I don't recall seeing it on other news servers.

I have not tried to check behavior in another news reader (especially Thunderbird).

Any ideas of what's happening?

Smith