Interviewed by CNN on 24/07/2012 00:54, rjkrjk told the world:
> win xp sp3 / android 2.3.5
>
> have just started using an android tablet (samsung)
> there are hundreds of emails on my samsung android, which have long been
> deleted on the desktop
>
> after some reading and research, I assumed it was a matter of syncing
> the tablet with the desktop. ( as an aside, don't know why mozilla
> refers back to firefox with instructions for SM).  sync was done on both
> sides, at least that's the message I got
>
> but after the sync.. all the messages were still there, tried to some
> other things but nothing worked.
>
> I then checked my ISP Inbox (directly) and the same hundreds of messages
> were there as well.  I deleted them all, and subsequently all the emails
> on the tablet also disappeared

What's probably happening:
- Your Seamonkey is downloading messages via POP and leaving a copy on
the server;
- Your tablet is checking messages via IMAP (which uses storage at the
ISP), so it sees the copies Seamonkey left there.

> I remembered  something about server settings and messages, so I
> proceeded to SERVER SETTINGS  and unchecked  LEAVE MESSAGES ON SERVER box
>
> will UNchecking this box hopefully resolve my situation where my tablet
> is retaining all my emails ??

Probably. But it has the minor inconvenient that you won't be able to
check via tablet a message that you have already downloaded to your
computer.

Some other possible setups:

1. Check the "Leave Messages on Server" checkbox, BUT also check the box
immediately below it -- the one that says "For at most X days" (choose
the number of days according to your needs). If you set it for, say, 7
days, Seamonkey will delete only messages it has downloaded at least a
week ago; so, you will still be able to review recent messages on your
tablet. You may also want to check the next box ("Until I delete them")
also; that is supposed to delete from the server messages you have
deleted from your computer.

2. A more radical change would be to set up Seamonkey to access your
mailbox via the IMAP protocol (like the tablet does) instead of via POP.
That way, you see exactly the same things (folders, read state of
messages and such) in Seamonkey, on the tablet and via webmail.
The main drawback of this approach is if your ISP is too stingy about
mail storage -- like offering too small a mailbox, or automatically
deleting messages after X days (mine recently started doing that, which
is the main reason I'm deprecating using their mailbox in favor of Gmail)

Another advantage of using IMAP, by the way, is if your ISP has
spam/virus filtering. With POP, checking the spam folder and restoring
false-positive messages is a bit of a chore; with IMAP, it's just
another folder.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.