Philip TAYLOR schreef:
Universe of discourse :

     Windows 7 32-bit Ultimate (and other Windows 7 systems, 32-bit &
64-bit).
     Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:14.0) Gecko/20120715 Firefox/14.0.1
SeaMonkey/2.11

Is there any way of changing the collapsed/expanded icons in
the e-mail directory pane from triangles to plus and minus
signs, which I find considerably more intuitive ?  I would
not want to change any other aspects of the appearance, either
of the e-mail client or of the browser window.

Philip Taylor

It's partly OS and theme dependent as far as I know.

Windows XP SP3 shows (+) and (-) signs when I use SM default theme.
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Zanqeutil/SeamonkeyFolderpane.jpg

SM Modern Theme shows triangles in XP SP3
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Zanqeutil/SeamonkeyFolderpaneModerntheme.jpg

So you could try a different theme like Mostly Crystal.
http://tom-cat.com/mozilla/seamonkey.html

Zanqeutil