Interviewed by CNN on 29/08/2012 20:38, Smiles told the world:
> I have a new client using XP with service pack 1
> to do any work on it I have had to reinstall and update it to service pack 3
>
> the problem we have is she admits to only having a few to a dozen emails
>
> her profile is
>
> F:\Profiles\vjbt7xq8.default\Mail\pop.cogeco.ca\
>     ===============================================
>     Drafts                               125698 KB
>     Drafts.msf                                1 KB
>     Inbox                                 15350 KB
>     Inbox.msf                                 2 KB
>     msgFilterRules.dat                        1 KB
>     popstate.dat                             18 KB
>     Sent                                  27325 KB
>     Sent.msf                                  1 KB
>     Trash                                     1 KB
>     Trash.msf                                 1 KB
>
> the sent, drafts, trash are empty
> inbox has 2 emails
>
> I will compact it but is there a way of recovering emails
>
> deleting the msf files does not show any more when it rebuilds the inbox
>
> thanks
> Smiles

I'm not sure what you are asking about. If you want to recover the
deleted messages from Drafts, Inbox and Sent -- yes, it's probably
possible. The mail folder files are just big plaintext files -- if you
load them into a plaintext editor (one that is able to handle large
files, that is) the old emails are plainly visible. This page gives a
bit more detail on the internal structure:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Recover_messages_from_a_corrupt_folder

To undelete them takes a bit more work. This Mozillazine post gives some
ways to do it:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Undelete_a_message

And this one gives the nitty-gritty details about the all-important
X-Mozilla-Status field:

http://www.eyrich-net.org/mozilla/X-Mozilla-Status.html?en

--
MCBastos