George Carden wrote:

I just updated Adobe Reader from their 9.0 version to 10.0.  Now, when I
receive a PDF file via e-mail and click on the attachment to open it,
instead of opening it in the SeaMonkey browser (as an Adobe document)
like it used to do, I get the message...

"Could not be opened because the associated helper application does not
exist. Change the association in your preferences."

What preferences, which association and changing it to what is it
talking about?

SM will sometimes get confused about where to look for a helper application after you update the helper.

Go to Edit | Preferences | Browser | Helper Applications and locate the setting(s) for PDFs. As it happens, my installation has five such settings for various MIME types; YMMV:

Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document (application/pdf)
Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document (file/unknown)
Adobe Acrobat Forms Document (application/vnd.adobe.xfdf)
Adobe Acrobat Forms Document (application/vnd.fdf)
Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package File

For each one, select your desired handling by clicking the answer on the right and pulling down your selection from the list. If your selection is already active but the program is not honoring it, choose "Always ask."

OK out and you should be fine. In cases where you chose "Always ask," you can now go back in and choose what you really wanted.

Paul B. Gallagher