Another update failed, just like all but one of the last 7 or 8. ["Failed" means that this time it froze at the "Checking Extensions..." stage, and after restarting the computer it was always "Seamonkey has encountered an error and must shut down".]

And now the question. After starting from scratch by d/l from the SM-Project site SM doesn't seem to use all of my settings. Maybe some things aren't in the profile? View-sort for History changed. Software d/l choices changed. Home page changed. Theme changed, but recovered with restart. Message filters disappeared.

So, why do these things happen? Aren't they generally in the profile, and wouldn't the "new" SM use the profile? Why did Mail and News accounts disappear, and had to be reconstructed? Why are mail messages gone, and need "surgery" to recover (yes, I know how, but it's a pain.) All the mail folders and related files are right there in the profile.

Ideas will be greatly appreciated.