Richard Owlett wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Anne-Riely wrote:
Opened SeaMonkey 2.12 running on Windows, Vista, and all
mail was gone.
  How to find and put back in inbox? Thanks.

Anne, when you select your e-mail account, what settings do
you have for View->Threads??

Also check settings for View->Messages

It's not the view settings, I've had the same thing twice in 5 days with SM 2.11. I've updated to 2.12, holding my breath to see if/when it happens again.

Symptoms: completely normal operation up to the first occurrence. I selected 4 or 5 messages to delete from the Inbox, pressed delete, and they vanished. Then I clicked another message to view it, and the Inbox contents vanished completely. I immediately checked the state of the 'Inbox' file in my profile store, and it was at 1K. Before the clear-out it had been around 10M.

I restored Inbox and Inbox.msf from a 3-day old backup and carried on. Two days later the Inbox contents vanished completely again, but there was no delete action at that time. A single click on a new message was all it took. And since my mail is POP3 and not left on the server, the new message was gone before I could read it.

Now my mail server settings are to notify but not download, and don't delete them from server until I manually delete them. Just in case.