"Richard Owlett" <rowl...@pcnetinc.com> wrote in message
news:0osdnfrnnddkh8_nnz2dnuvz_h2dn...@mozilla.org...
> Desiree wrote:
>> My Firefox versions (4.0.1 and 10.0.7 Enterprise) do not support SPDY.
>> Sea
>> Monkey 2.12.1 supports SPDV.  I am going to disable it in about:config
>> partly because of the current security vulnerability and also because
>> there
>> is no extension for Sea Monkey to let me know when SPDV is used. I tried
>> install SPDY indicator for Fx on Sea Monkey but it will not install. Is
>> there a trick that will get it to install?
>
> In English please ;/
> A very loose translation of the likely French version of question might
> be:
>    What does SPDY wish to say?
>
> IOW "HUH"????

Here's a good article summarizing SPDY (sorry for the mistype where I used
"v" instead of "y").

SPDY is a type of compression developed by Google for Chrome that
dramatically speeds up SSL and HTTPS sessions on websites that use it.
Currently there is a security exploit involving SPDY. IE is not affected
because it doesn't use SPDY at all. Opera doesn't use it either but will be
introducing it in Opera 12.50. Fx 15 uses it as does the current version of
Sea Monkey. (I don't know what version of SM it was introduced in but I have
an old version of SM 2.6.1 that doesn't have it). Chrome and Fx both have
extensions (and Opera will have an extension for Opera 12.5) that allow the
user to know when SPDY is used at a website as it is transparent to the
user.

I think the update to 2.12.1 was partly to patch the vulnerability?
http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/09/crime-hijacks-https-sessions/
Google and Twitter support SPDY. Luckily, my versions of Fx (4 and 10 ESR)
do not support it because I use Google Sharing extension on Fx and that
forces SSL for Google search so I would have been vulnerable to CRIME (the
exploit) until a patch for Fx if I was using more recent Fx version. I
do/did have a vulnerable Sea Monkey but I think the latest upgrade was
partly for the patch for this vulnerability. Plus, very unfortunately,
Google Sharing extension will not install on Sea Monkey (and is a main
reason I have Fx as my default browser) so Google search on SM is "http" for
me and thus no SPDY.  I have Twitter blocked in my Hosts file so the fact it
uses SPDY is irrelevant for me.

If Sea Monkey is going to implement SPDY then we need the Fx extension, or
one just for SM, working on SM so users can monitor what sites are using
SPDY.