Zeb Carter wrote:
Ed Mullen wrote:
Windows 7 Pro 32 bit

For about 18 months, whenever Mail is running SM starts using huge
amounts of CPU resources and the program freezes.  If Mail is not
running?  No issues with the browser.

I tried Firefox and TBird without SM running.  Same issue.

Yes, tried them all in Safe Mode.

Tried them all with all extensions and add ons disabled.

Sorry, no glee.

When the mailnews program in SM is running?  Mem usage skyrockets, the
whole program hangs for 5, 10, 20 seconds.  I watch Task Manager and,
yeah, SM sktyockets in CPU usage.

Yep, just now, was typing and SM hung.  It buffered my keystrokes and
suddenly exposed them.  Still, unacceptable.

This has been going on for about a year or so.

Ed, I have a similar problem. On certain binary newsgroups, where there
is a large number of new messages, SM hangs on getting them. finally, I
get a message on how many headers I want to download. While the system
is working to get to that point, I may see "program not responding" and
one or both windows (browser & mail/news) may disappear from the task
bar. When the system recovers, the windows may still be gone or just the
mail/news window will show on the task bar. I can still go up to the
tool bar and under Window click to get back to the missing window which
usually reappears on the task bar.

I am running Win XP Media Center with SP3, 2Gb Ram with plenty of HD
space. CPU is an Athlon 64 X2 4600+.

This has been a problem for me going back to 1.x.

Win 7 Pro. I also get the Windows message "not responding" in the SM title bar. Sometimes the program's window will go blank and then refresh. Happens in mail and news. Actually, even if I'm using the browser with mail/news in the background the browser will freeze. I've started just the browser, no mail/news, and sat there for several minutes actively scrolling, opening and closing tabs/sites and as long as mail/news is not open it's fine.

I'll have to try opening both then closing mail/news and test in that case.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/