On 11/23/12 7:30 AM, George Carden wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 10/27/12 12:52 PM, Tom S. wrote:
>>> On Fri 26 Oct 2012 01:51:07pm EDT, /David E. Ross/ said in
>>> mozilla.support.seamonkey:

>>> How do you install it when SeaMonkey won't let you install it
>>> from the website?

>>> <snip>
>>>

>> 1.  Download the .xpi file without installing it.
>>
>> 2.  Use a ZIP application (e.g., Winzip) to extract the install.rdf
>> file.  (The .xpi file is merely a ZIP file without the .zip file
>> extension.)
>>
>> 3.  In the block
>>              <em:targetApplication>
>>            <!-- SeaMonkey -->
>>            <Description>
>>              <em:id>{92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}</em:id>
>>              <em:minVersion>2.2</em:minVersion>
>>              <em:maxVersion>2.7.*</em:maxVersion>
>>              </Description>
>>              </em:targetApplication>
>> use an ASCII editor to change
>>              <em:maxVersion>2.7.*</em:maxVersion>
>>              <em:maxVersion>2.15.*</em:maxVersion>
>>
>> 4.  Re-insert the modified install.rdf file back into the .xpi file.
>>
>> 5.  Install the extension locally from your hard drive.
>>

> David, I'm to the very last step on this. What exactly do I do to
> install the extension locally from the hard drive? Do I need to re-zip
> the contents of the "password_exporter-1.2.1-fx+tb+sm" folder again and
> install that?  I don't want to screw this up. Thanks.

DO NOT extract all files from the zipped .xpi file.  Only extract
install.rdf.

1.  After editing it, re-insert the install.rdf file into the .xpi file.

2.  On the SeaMonkey menu bar, select [Tools > Add-ons Manager].

3.  On the Add-ons Manager, select Extensions (left-hand side, green
puzzle piece).

4.  At the top of the page, there is a button with a graphic that is
either a machine gear or a black daisy with a down-pointing triangle.
Select that button.  On the pull-down list, select "Install Add-on From
File".

The rest should be intuitive.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross