Craig <cr...@example.com> wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> Works for me - tells me that 2.14.2 is available. I backed down to
>> 2.13.2 and did Help|Check for updates:
>> Screenshot:
>> <http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/screenshotfrom201212021.png/>
>>
>> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686 on x86_64; rv:16.0) Gecko/20121026
>> Firefox/16.0 SeaMonkey/2.13.2
>>
>> Note: I haven't tried from Centos (yet). The above is from an Ubuntu 12.04.
>>
>> Regarding update notifications; SeaMonkey may briefly flash an update
>> indicator, but doesn't seem to do the same as Firefox where FF pops up a
>> new window.
>
> Sorry for the 3+ weeks delay.
>
> I noticed on http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ today that the
> 32-bit version of SM 2.14.1 for Linux was available, so I went to Help
> -> Check for Updates... to manually check for the update. SM told me
> "There are no updates available. Seamonkey will check periodically for
> updates."
>
> I saw that FF had also been updated (from 16.0.2 to 17.0.1), so I tried
> the same thing in FF. It told me FF at 16.0.2 was up-to-date.

You can check if your Linux distributor provides updates, via their
normal software update procedure.  If so, it is preferable to use those
because they will probably have packaged the software into packages
for that environment (.rpm, .deb) which will be checked for conflicts
when installing.
It is not a good idea to install a package from the distributor and
then update versions via an app-native auto update mechanism.