On 3/3/13 12:23 PM, Rickles wrote:
> MCBastos wrote:
>> Interviewed by CNN on 02/03/2013 15:51, question told the world:
>>
>>>    My wife has not used her computer this week.. So this explains why
>>> Java works on hers this morning..on pogo
>>>    Block list has not been updated more in likely.
>>> Both computers are identical...
>>>    But her JAVA is 7u10
>>>    Mine is 7u15
>>>    I told her not to update her Java .
>>>
>>>    Reading the bugzilla. We are being Blocked Because FACEBOOK got hacked..
>>>
>>>    Could be FACEBOOK does not have Java Configured Correctly . So Ever
>>> other WEBSITE that uses JAVA has to Suffer Because The Almighty
>>> FACEBOOK's Security is not Enabled correctly .
>>>
>>>    Let Facebook take care of itself .
>>
>> I think you misunderstood the issue.
>>
>> The problem is not that a few computers belonging to Facebook engineers
>> got hacked; the problem is that this event demonstrates that:
>>
>> a) There is a bug in Java
>> b) Which is ALREADY BEING EXPLOITED by hackers.
>>
>> If this exploit only affected Facebook, there would be no reason for
>> worry. But the thing is, it DOES present a risk for EVERY user. Facebook
>> can take care of itself, but most small users CANNOT. It's to protect
>> those small users that the block has been implemented.  So, for the
>> moment, it's considered dangerous to have Java running automatically.
>>
>> Even if the latest exploit has been band-aided, the recent pattern of
>> security problems with Java raises serious doubts about its overall
>> security. Simply stated, Java is no longer worth the trust of Internet
>> users -- until such a time as it can regain that trust, Mozilla opted to
>> place it in the "click-to-run" category, which needs an explicit "OK"
>> from the user every time it is invoked by a site.
>>
>> Staying with an older Java release won't help; if anything, it will be
>> worse, since those older releases are bound to be even more emphatically
>> blocked.
>>
> You raise a point I'd appreciate clarification on: explicit OK from the
> user.  The problem several of us have is that, when visiting a site
> which uses Java, we are not ASKED if it's OK to run Java, the site
> simply fails.  Despite continually un- and re-installing Java to allow
> for 'clean' installs, certificate updates, etc., we're not being
> prompted to click a permissions dialog, we're simply A) told by the web
> site that we don't have Java running, or B) nothing happens at all.
>
> The current state of the Java 7u15 plugin states this plugin is known to
> have vulnerabilities, but nothing actually says it's blocked (at least
> on my machine at the mo.)  In fact, the 'disable' button is available if
> I want to turn it off, which infers it's still running.  But the Pogo
> web site now looks for Java before allowing a Java-based game to run,
> and it tells me I haven't got Java installed.
>
> And that's contradictory, based on the observed interface.

When you go to a Web page that uses Java but the blocklist prevents Java
from running, you should see an icon at the left end of the URI bar
(address bar).  The icon resembles a small Lego block.  Click on that
icon to get a pull-down menu to override the blocklist for that Web
page.  No, this is NOT intuitive and definitely NOT user-oriented.  And
no, I know of no way to undo the override.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Are taxes too high in the U.S.?  Check the bar graph
at <http://www.rossde.com/taxes/trickling.html> to see.