On 03/11/2013 09:57 AM, WaltS wrote:
On 03/11/2013 09:14 AM, Gary Montalbine wrote:
I have this website:
http://knottsislandonline.com/kiscrapbook/index.html

Using seamonkey as my html editor, I have just noticed my charset has
changed to <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" in the new
updates. My default is <meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1". A
random check of my html files on my harddrive indicates my files are
changed whenever I access them via seamonkey. This has happened sometime
in the last 2 weeks. There has been no change to the html files on the
web that are older than 2 weeks. I have no idea what charset is/means or
it's effect. When I save a file with charset=ISO-8859-1" it is
automatically changed to charset=windows-1252. I have no choice. WHY?????
Thanks, Gary

What version of SeaMonkey?

Version 2.16

Looking at the source code of a blank HTML page in Composer using SM
2.16.1, I see <meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"
http-equiv="Content-Type">

When I open a new page the charset is ISO-8859-1. However when I save it the charset is automatically changed to windows-1252. I have no control over how it is saved.

The charset tells a browser what character encoding you used to create
your web pages.

<http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-what-is-encoding>

Have no idea what is causing yours to change.

My suggestion would be to stop using Composer, and switch to something
like BlueGriffon, or Bluefish.

<http://www.bluegriffon.org/>

<http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html>

Thanks, Gary