MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 15/03/2013 17:49, Rufus told the world:

These days I would think that any household that has multiple users on
one machine might run multiple profiles.

Actually, if you have multiple users it usually makes more sense to have
separate profiles at the OS level, not the application level. Profile
managing was a necessity back in the dark days of Windows 9x, which had
limited profile managing features. Nowadays, it's a niche feature.

...heh...I was waiting to hear this. I think this depends on how the software is installed - on a multi-user Mac I can install an app "for all users of this machine" or for "current user only". So you'd have to be that savvy as well.

And certainly from a security standpoint one might want to run one
fairly "open" Profile and one that is more lock-down secure when roaming
- like using public wifi with a laptop; sans using Password Manager
(which scares me more the more I learn about how it actually works).
I've been doing this for decades, and it's been one of the reasons I've
been a champion of SM for business users and travelers in addition to
using whole disk encryption - creation and use of situationally suitable
Profiles.

OK, that's a valid use-case for profiles. Maybe. I'm not sure how much
more secure you get by using separate profiles. The main increased risks
you have when you are roaming are someone stealing your laptop (for
which the separate profile won't be much help) or Wi-fi packet sniffing
/ spoofing (for which a much more effective option would be to use a VPN
tunnel to a trusted proxy).

By invoking another set of add-ons, like HTTPS Everywhere. Or like I mentioned not using a Master Password or storing any Passwords at all...or not allowing storage/setting of *any* Cookies, etc.; alternate user Preference settings for public use...but yeah, I agree physical security is just as important. At least you can do what you can do, and it's one of the features that makes (made) NS and SM superior, IMO.

OTOH, I just a couple days ago I saw the local PD and sheriffs swarming an ATM that had been hacked outside of one of our grocery stores, and we've also had a rash of credit card skimming (using RF from a distance - not hacking the pumps) at a local gas station - some of the folk I work with have even been stung.

So setting up a locked down Profile for use on a laptop while roaming around using public wifi seems like a far more prudent thing to do than follow the x.x.x "security updates" to me...jus' sayin'...

--
     - Rufus