HilsB wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
HilsB wrote:

Here is where we are at -

Cookies default is set at 'originating only' 'no 3rd parties' and
'session only'
Tonight have selected the 'outlet-spacci.blogspot.com cookies (3)
removed both individually and as a group and set to 'block'. This has
been repeated three times. On each occasion I have exited Seamonkey then
shutdown / restart the Mac. The dam cookies are still there -
  _utma expire     17 Nov 2014
_utmb        17 Nov 2012
_utmz        18 May 3013  Under 'cookies' and permissions only'

Where do we go from here? replies appreciated.

OK, I visited the site, which duly set four cookies (my default is to accept
only first-party session cookies,
and I hadn't listed this site as an exception).

I went into the Cookie Manager and manually removed the cookies. As soon as I
deleted the last one, the domain
vanished from the list, so I had no opportunity to impose a block.

Returning to the browser window, I did Tools | Cookie Manager | Block Cookies
from This Website. I closed
SeaMonkey entirely and relaunched. As you recall, I have SM set to clear all
cookies on shutdown. I confirmed
after relaunching -- no cookies were to be found in the Cookie Manager.

I visited the problem website, which should have tried to set cookies. However,
when I checked the Cookie
Manager, I found no cookies.

I conclude that deleting cookies without imposing a block is ineffective.
Somehow you have to tell SM to stop
accepting cookies, and if you can't do it through the Cookie Manager, you can
do it the way I described above.
That's the easy way.

If you prefer the clumsy, counterintuitive, and misleading way of imposing a
block through the Cookie Manager,
here's how:

In the left-hand panel, paste the domain name into the "Search Domains" window
and hit Enter. If SeaMonkey has
a record for that domain, it will show up underneath; in that case, click it
and you'll see a listing on the
right of the various data types SM has stored. On the "Permissions" tab, you
should see
     outlet-spacci.blogspot.com   Set Cookies
     ( ) Allow    ( ) Allow for Session    (•) Block
as described previously.

If SeaMonkey returns no hits for this domain, however, that means it has no
record of it and is enforcing your
default policies. You will have to create a new record.

Adding a new domain manually through the Cookie Manager is clumsy,
counterintuitive, and misleading. Clear the
"Search Domains" window and you'll see a list of all the domains for which SM
has records (domains for which
it doesn't apply your default policies). Select any one of them. At the bottom
of the right-hand panel, click
the "Add" button, which will turn into a "Select a type" button, with a data
entry window to the left of it,
already prepopulated with the domain you selected. Paste the domain you do want
to modify in there, choose
"Set Cookies" from the "Select a type" pulldown, and click "Add."

You will now see a second entry at the top under the domain you don't want to
modify; the new entry says:
     Set Cookies
     [x] Use Default   ( ) Allow  ( ) Allow for Session  ( ) Block
Don't be scared, and more importantly, don't believe it. This does NOT affect
the domain you don't want to
modify. Clear the "Use Default" checkbox and select "Block" for this second
entry. Nothing happens; you have
to trust that this is actually working and that it applies to the domain you've
entered.

To verify that it did work, paste the domain you do want to modify into the "Search
Domains" window. Now SM
will return one hit, and if you click it, you can see the block has been imposed.
And if you clear the "Search
Domains" window, you can verify that the policy for the other domain has not
been affected.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input - will follow your suggestions. Meantime inputting
inputting 'cookies' into spotlight
reveals numerous hits. I'm beginning to think there is a connection between the
California website and
processes running on startup. Could it be that the Italian site hides the true
origin? We all know that income
can be generated from tracking and all 3 cookies are for 'any type of
connection' and one of the spotlight
results indicates a process at startup.
Thanks again for your interest and input.

UPDATE  -
Take a look at this website -
http://www.websitevalue.us/www/outlet-spacci.blogspot.com
Scroll down and check 'Organisation'  which, I think, explains a lot.
Looking at the dates attached to various 'cookie' under 'spotlight' I notice that some files were created before I bought the Mac, others created after purchase. I suspect that somewhere along the line if Google is selected as preferred search engine then 'small print' (read obscure) allows them to insert these indestructible cookies.
For now all I can do is to manually remove them on startup since I'm not a
software engineer.