Paul wrote:

I made it on 6-25 to test your post of 6-25.
I made my "smiley" template to send me a smiley face when
someone emails me.  Since in my experiment, that someone is me,
it sends me a smiley which my email interprets as "to" me and
therefore sends me a smiley in response.  That response
generates another response, and so forth.  I stopped it after
50 iterations in 3 minutes.

FWIW, it would've been better to test with two different accounts. If only one autoresponds, you don't get an endless loop.

Paul B. Gallagher