Daniel wrote:
I use Teranews.com for my Usenet account, and have two accounts
for it, free.teranews.com has my forty-odd general usenet groups,
and 69.16.185.252 (the equivalent of free.teranews.com) is for my
dozen or so computer usage groups, however.....

For the past few days, this second account has been timing out,
so I've got no access to these groups.

The first account works, but (as you're probably aware) there's
very little activity on any of the general groups, some but not
much![snip]

You might wish to try other free USENET servers.
Two list of free servers are:
http://www.newzbot.com/
http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet/Public_News_Servers/

Two providers I've used occasionally and have generally good thins about
http://www.aioe.org/
http://www.eternal-september.org/

I personally use the "text only" option of supernews.com - a paid server but reliable and trouble free.