Ed Mullen wrote:

I see little point in saving and re-using settings from one email
account and assuming they should be applicable to a new one.  I have
several accounts and they (in most cases) use unique SMTP and IMAP
(or POP) server settings. It would be pointless, or nearly
impossible, to take settings from one of several accounts and
accurately apply them to a new one. If the info were pre-filled I'd
just have to over-write them anyway.

Unless I'm missing something in the point of this thread.

Here are a couple of scenarios where it makes sense:

• For most ordinary users who have one ISP and several accounts, the SMTP settings will be the same, so the best strategy is just to point a new account to the existing SMTP server, which is set as default.

• For users with several accounts within the same domain (e.g., someone like me with their own domain), the POP settings will be the same, except username and password.

If I were designing the interface, I'd offer the user these options:
a) prepopulate with settings from an existing account (user selectable) and modify them;
b) start from scratch.

Then depending on which option makes sense, the user could make the best use of his time.

Paul B. Gallagher