Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Rick Merrill wrote:

I would suspect web page encoding, especially GIF files that repeat.

In SeaMonkey you can
edit/preferences/privacy/images/animated-pages-should-loop
to "once" to stop the GIF files.

Does that /really/ take a lot of CPU???

I think it's more likely advertising crap that's constantly phoning home for a
new
banner, and using complex scripts that aren't always as efficient as you might
like.
Turn it off with AdBlock Plus or equivalent.

I don't have any trouble with nytimes.com, but I do use ABP.

Or you could do a quick check by disabling scripts on web pages:

Edit | Preferences | Advanced | Scripts & Plugins:
Enable JavaScript for:
[ ] Browser

If that solves it, then the trouble pages have bad scripts and an ad blocker
will help.

GIF files can take up a lot of time DEPENDING on the age of the CPU
and whether or not there is a graphics card ;-)