Jim wrote:

I can't play Quicktime files anymore.  Says I need to upgrade to the
latest version of Quicktime.  (The specific video I want to play is on
<www.apaceweather.com>).  It send me to the Mozilla plugin updater page,
which sends me to Quicktime <http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/>

When I press install now, I get a popup asking me if I want to save the
file (QuicktimeIntaller.exe), but when I click on "Save File", I don't
have the foggiest idea where it is being installed -- it doesn't give me
a hint.

Hints anyone?

First, I think you mean to point us to <http://www.Spaceweather.com/>, not <http://www.Apaceweather.com/>. This page contains a link to a .mov file, which can be played with several different programs including QT.

If you tell SM to save the file and you don't get a dialog inviting you to select a location, it's probably because SM is set to save all downloads to the same directory. Look at Edit | Preferences | Browser | Downloads and see what you see under

        When saving a file
        (•) Save files to...
        (o) Always ask me where to save files

If you don't like that setup, switch to "Always ask..."

Paul B. Gallagher