Neil <n...@parkwaycc.co.uk> wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>
>> andré wrote:
>>
>>> Due to an important (to me) bug being rejected as WONTFIX, I have
>>> been making a cludge patch to Seamonkey for several years, to remove
>>> a useless display that takes up a large part of screen space.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)
>>
>> Cross-posted to m.d.a.seamonkey and m.s.seamonkey with follow-up set
>> to m.s.seamonkey
>
> If you just want to hide an element, the easiest way is to add a rule in
> your userChrome.css that sets it to display: none; but of course you
> have to do that separately in each profile.
>
> If you want something more global, then you could use a global extension
> (how to do this depends on your OS). You still need to enable the
> extension in each profile (global extensions are not enabled
> automatically). A traditional extension would probably be easier to
> implement but you can also do this using a restartless extension.

There should be a systemChrome.css that can be put in the program
installation directory and that is applied to (not copied to) all
user profiles.  People want to do customizations without having to
write extensions.  Extensions should be used only for functional
additions, not to hide problems in configurability or managability
of the software.

That said, more info and discussion of the omni.ja(r) situation can
be found here:

http://mike.kaply.com/2013/05/06/dont-unpack-and-repack-omni-jar/