Paul B. Gallagher <pau...@pbgdashtranslations.com> wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>
>> While some servers seem to know where I am, enough servers are
>> mistaken to provide me with a feeling that I am somewhat incognito.
>> And even the most accurate geolocators have me in the wrong county.
>
> Nobody really knows where you are. All they can do is look up the
> address of your ISP (the owner of your IP address); some provide more
> accuracy or detail than others. Point is, they only know where your ISP is.

That is simply not correct.
There are different ways the different services operate, and some
of them use basic informations like the whois data.  They usually locate
you in the city where the headquarter of your ISP is.

However, newer services actually collect information from more sources
that have more detail.  E.g. sites where you select your location to get
the local news or weather.
Furthermore, when they don't have detailed info about your address, they
look at other addresses "nearby".
How well this works depends on the technology and topology of the
network your ISP uses.   Some assign subnets to local segments and it
is very accurate, others use technologies like PPPoE or PPTP to create
a tunnel per user to some central router, and adjacency of IP address
means nothing w.r.t. location.  Until you have provided them the info
they need, your location may be wrong.