Rob wrote:
David E. Ross <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
When I terminate SeaMonkey, I generally do not pay attention to how many
other applications are running.  It's only when I cannot relaunch
SeaMonkey that I realize something is amiss; by then, I don't remember
what was running when I terminated SeaMonkey.
I recognize this problem but I have never found under what circumstances
it occurs.
When people close Seamonkey it sometimes remains running as a process
without any open windows.  Really sometimes there is still the "envelope"
icon in the tray, indicating new mail, and it usually disappears when
the mouse is hovered above it.

But when a new instance is started, it fails to start with the
"seamonkey is already running but not responding" message.  After
it is terminated using the task manager, everything is fine.

This condition can persist for a long time and without load on the
system.
(on a Linux system that is short of memory it can sometimes take a long
time to shutdown because it is swapping lots of memory back in from the
swapspace page by page before it finally quits, but that is a different
issue not related to what is described here)

I've seen SM under XP take several minutes to clear cache when the cache was allowed to get very large.