On 1/23/14 8:14 AM +0900, stan pierce wrote:
Trane Francks wrote:
On 1/21/14 10:13 PM +0900, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
stan pierce wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
stan pierce wrote:

Dave Taylor wrote:
I must have hit some switch?  Now SM is only offering me the
option of
downloading files to the DLs file.  Inconvenient.  I used to be
able to
open them directly from an email or website.
Even when I right-click "Open" the only thing it will do is DL them.
Edit>Prefs>Browser>Downloads is set to: "Open DL manager", "Save
Files
to DL folder".
No option to "Open" instead of "Download".
Thanks!  SM2.23 Win7

How do I add to Helper applications so jpeg files won't end up in the
Download list?

If SM is automatically downloading them without asking, you must
already
have that file type listed. Look carefully through the helper
applications list, find the place where jpeg is listed as "Save File,"
and change it to the desired behavior. It should be easy to find, since
the default sort is alphabetical by content type -- look in the J's.

jpeg is not in my Helper list. Is there a way to add it?

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Since the developers implemented the new
helpers list, I've often wondered how to add file types, never known the
answer.

Stan, it might be possible to fix this by editing the mimeTypes.rdf file
in your profile. The file is just XML, so you can use a standard text
editor to work with it. First, search in the file for 'jpeg' (case
insensitive). My entries in the file look thusly:

   <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:image/jpeg"
                    NC:handleInternal="false"
                    NC:alwaysAsk="true"
                    NC:saveToDisk="true"
                    NC:useSystemDefault="false">
     <NC:externalApplication
RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:image/jpeg"/>
   </RDF:Description>

   <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:image/jpeg"
                    NC:path="/Applications/Preview.app"
                    NC:prettyName="Preview" />

   <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:text/html"
                    NC:value="text/html"
                    NC:editable="true"
                    NC:fileExtensions="jpg"
                    NC:description="JPEG Picture">
     <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:text/html"/>
   </RDF:Description>

The following line in the 'RDF:Seq RDF:about="urn:mimetypes:root"' section:
     <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:image/jpeg"/>

   <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:image/jpeg"
                    NC:fileExtensions="jpg"
                    NC:description="JPEG Picture"
                    NC:value="image/jpeg"
                    NC:editable="true">
     <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:image/jpeg"/>
   </RDF:Description>

   <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:application/x-forcedownload"
                    NC:value="application/x-forcedownload"
                    NC:editable="true"
                    NC:fileExtensions="jpg"
                    NC:description="JPEG Picture">
     <NC:handlerProp
RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:application/x-forcedownload"/>
   </RDF:Description>

You'll want to make any changes to the file with SeaMonkey closed. Just
in case things go wonky, make a safe copy of the file before working
with it. Note also that my external application specification is
Mac-specific. If you're using Windows or Linux, you'll need to specify
your external application to suit.

Thanks, Trane, but doing this is beyond my expertise. Stan.

Opening a file in Notepad and pasting stuff in is beyond your expertise? It really shouldn't be much more difficult than that. There are other MIME types in the file that you can use to confirm you're in the right area. Each of the RDF:Description blocks I've entered here are stand-alone descriptors.
--
// Trane Francks    tr...@gol.com    Tokyo, Japan