JohnW-Mpls <john...@comcast.net> wrote:
> WinXP & SM 2.22.1
>
> When I create a new message and attach a .txt file, the content of that .txt
> file appears in the body of the message.
>
> If I change the attached file to a .doc or .zip: the body of the message
> stays unaffected by the attachment.
>
> When did SM start integrating attachments into new messages?

It does not work as you describe.
The attachment are really sent as attachments, however when you look
at the mail message (received or in the sent folder) they are *also*
displayed inline in the message.
Look in the attachment window, the .txt file is still there!

The inline attachment display is controlled by the
"view->display attachments inline" setting on the message window menu.
Turn it off when you don't like it.