Ken Rudolph wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/6/2014 11:13 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Partway through the update, Norton Internet Security "detected"
Suspicious.Cloud.7.F and removed it to quarantine. As soon as this
happened, SeaMonkey's check of add-ins for compatibility stalled. After
five minutes of spinning, I clicked "Cancel" and the installer
terminated.

The file that was flagged by NIS was
C:\Program Files(x86)\SeaMonkey\freebl3.dll
The file size is 299,520 bytes.
The Details panel from Windows Explorer properties reports:
File description: NSS freebl Library
Type: Application extension
File version: 3.15.4.0
Product name: Network Security Services
Product version: 3.15.4 Basic ECC
Copyright:
Size: 292 KB
Date modified: 2/7/2014 1:56 AM
Language: English (United States)
Original filename: freebl3.dll

I launched SeaMonkey, which reported its version as 2.24, but did not
automatically take me to the release notes (well, actually, it tried,
but I just got the busy cursor; it never displayed the page). In fact, I
was unable to browse to any web page, which means I cannot download the
installer and reinstall manually.

I checked my add-ons, and found the "Extensions" were intact, but the
"Plugins" panel was blank (about 10 add-ons had vanished). When I asked
SM to check compatibility, I got the same result as with the browser --
unable to browse to any page, including the plugin check.

I am unable to download mail (Ctrl-D produces no response).

I will download the full installer on another computer, move it here,
uninstall and reinstall and see if that helps.

Get rid of Norton!  This is a recurring problem.

I never have this problem with AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2014.  On a
manual scan, I never have this problem with Malwarebytes.

Does anybody have a solution short of getting rid of Norton?  I need
SeaMonkey...can I go back to version 2.23?

I seem to have solved the problem (at least now SeaMonkey loads). I went to Norton 360 and pulled the offending file out of quarantine and re-installed it and checked the box which accepts this .dll file in the future. Then I restarted my Win-7 computer and it worked fine.

--
Ken Rudolph