Paul B. Gallagher wrote, On 24/03/14 03.11:

I think he's talking about the blue shading, not the bolding. Regardless
of read status and those settings, the description of the current
message still has that shading.

Hi,

I had the same problem as the OP last week, I then reinstalled SM 2.25 and got the "shading" back, but I still do notice some issues.

If the OP wants to read the next unread message, he can still press "N"
without knowing which message is currently selected and SM will
automatically jump to the next unread message. Similarly, if he wants to
read the next message regardless of read status, he can press "F" and SM
will take him there.

Yes, but it is annoying.

I agree with the OP that it would be nicer if the shading remained when
the user switched focus to the message pane.

On my OS X the problem is that the background set for the selected message changes if you read the message inside a threaded discussion.
I mean there are the following backgrounds when selecting a message:
1) blue with white text (focus on the upper pane, the messages list one);
2) light grey with black text (focus on the lower pane, when selecting the first message of a thread); 3) very light blue with black text (focus on the lower pane, when selecting another message of a thread).

The issue is with the 3rd exemple, because the upper pane already alternates backgrounds (white / light blue / white / light blue / etc.), so you got some messages with a good beackground, and some other with no background at all.

G.