Chuck wrote:
I have had this problem in Seamonkey for a long time.
For no reason I can account for, at some point, when I open one of my
email files
the text changes from black to greyed out and is very difficult to read.
It may or may not change back to black further down the file.
Can anyone offer a solution to this?

This one may be related to signature file handling.

The traditional way for handling client-inserted signatures is to have a line that begins with two hyphens, followed by a blank space, then followed by a hard return. Signature file content follows that

For Mozilla mail clients, when the hyphen-hyphen-space-return combination is seen, then the following text is shown in gray.

However, if you have the signature alert elsewhere in the message (even buried in HTML formatting and not visible) that can cause some or all of the message to be displayed in gray.

In my working group, everybody uses Thunderbird, and we have an internal mailing list that we use to draft announcement material. When we're mostly agreed on content, then the message is released. One of the guys in our group uses the Signature Switch extension to insert signature content, and for many of the messages that he's touched, the process of copy/paste of HTML-formatted content causes the final copy of the message to display to users of Mozilla clients as gray text, even if the final copy doesn't have any signature content.

Smith