On 15/05/14 18:11, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 5/14/2014 6:16 PM, Trane Francks wrote:
On 5/15/14 4:31 AM +0900, Rufus wrote:
MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 14/05/2014 16:05, Rufus told the world:

...personally, I don't think SM is all that "complex"...it's not
like it
does 3D graphic presentations with interactive panning and rotation or
anything math-intensive like that.

Actually, math stuff is CPU-intensive but not necessarily intrinsically
complex (although optimizations might add to it).

Depends on what you're doing I guess...I evaluate and disposition
quasi-realtime system software for a living...SM is pretty simple WRT to
what I work with.  I don't see SM doing anything that interdependent,
system-wise.

Working with externally-generated data, OTOH, is VERY complex, because
you have to deal with all the novel and creative ways people find to
*fuck up*.

SM is basically a front-end to a database...no hit against SM if people
generating the data that go into it screw up their data, but SM should
do what it does consistently and as error free with respect to it's
platform interface as a user would expect - and I see problems going
unaddressed in that regard, at least for Mac OS X.  Platform interface
requirements are pretty stable, generally speaking.

The biggest issue with regard to complexity is the sheer number of RFCs
that the code must correctly support. RFCs describe the behaviour, but
not the implementation. If you've ever coded anything bigger than, say,
5,000 lines of code in a single program, you soon get a grasp of how
quickly interdependencies can greatly complicate maintenance.

I think that most of the people who expect completely bug-free code
don't understand the realities of coding, because they haven't ever done
it themselves.  Worse, most software these days is the product of a
number of people working together, and if one of them doesn't follow the
standards, or makes a human error, then a subtle bug may be the result,
causing trouble with another function that calls that routine.  It is
somewhat close to impossible to have truly bug free code in any project
over a few thousand lines.

I'd love to see even a block diagram of SM or FF+TB!! They would blow most peoples minds!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26 Build identifier: 20140415200419
or

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26 Build identifier: 20140408191805