On 03/08/14 03:39, Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP) wrote:
On 02/08/14 11:33, Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP) wrote:
I want to say this behavior started around 2.24 but I could be wrong.
I've noticed that when typing into my address bar that it now takes
around 2-3 seconds before autocomplete populates anything. It used to
be instant. I thought maybe it was machine specific but it happens
both at home and on my work box. Some Google searches say it *could*
be a corrupted places.sqlite. But on two machines? Hm, not buying that
one. places.sqlite on my home box is only 51MB which I don't feel is
too huge. I have History set to 180 days. But then again, I've had it
set to 180 days for close to a decade. Anyone have any ideas?

Even whilst reading your post, before I got to your mentioning of
places.sqlite, I was thinking it could be the problem as it gets sooo
big now-a-days, that it could be remembering squillions of addresses, so
taking time to search through them.

Does anyone know if there is any way to limit the max size of
places.sqlite??

Realistically I think this parameter is controlled by how long you
keep cached history in days and such. I'll try dropping it down to 90
days and see if it shrinks, after backing it up of course.

I don't think the time-limit for History is the problem, as, often, when I'm typing in a address that I went to yonks ago, it will pop up in the drop-down list, even though it was not showing in History just before I stated typing.

So, if places.sqlite is remembering soooo much more, that's where it must be coming from.

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26 Build identifier: 20140415200419
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.26 Build identifier: 20140408191805