On 10/05/2014 11:23 PM, Paul Marwick wrote:
> I've been having all sorts of problems with 2.29 and 2.29.1. On my
> desktop, 2.29.1 now seems to be working fairly well. On my laptop, it
> either can't see my email accounts or the browser won't run. In
> frustration, I decided to let 2.29.1 create a new profile and migrate
> data from the old one to it. Main things I wanted were email accounts,
> bookmarks and passwords. However...
>
> I read this page -
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_data_to_a_new_profile_-_SeaMonkey
> prior to starting. Trouble is, it doesn't seem to have been updated
> since sometime in 2009, so a good bit of it seems to now be obsolete.
> And I've not found other sources that are much better.
>
> bookmarks.html no longer exists, and places.sqlite doesn't seem to
> contain my original bookmarks. I've got round most of the problem by
> exporting bookmarks.html from the old profile (its still active and
> available under a different Linux distribution). But passwords has so
> far got me completely lost.
>
> I followed the directions - used the new profile to log into a password
> protected site, saved the password. But there is no <numbers>.s file
> created. And no information that I can find to help me actually get the
> password data from the old profile to the new one.
>
> I've used Seamonkey for as long as its been around, and prefer it to
> Firefox/Thunderbird, but I've got to admit, the problems with language
> files, profile problems and just general mess involved with 2.29 is
> making me seriously consider migrating to something else entirely. Which
> I'd rather not do, but....
>
> I'm using the Arch 64-bit build of 2.291.
>
> Paul.

I drop the entire profile into my Windows (WinXP, Win7, Win8) mozilla
folder. See if that works for you. You may have to tweak your
addons/plugins etc., but in general it should work. If not, do a mass
find and replace on the prefs.js file to replace the /home/<user>/... to
c:\\<user> paths in the prefs.js file & off you go. Then I use
rsync/grsync to keep the entire profile on a separate shared data disk
so that I can update the Windows profile when I boot to that partition.