Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
SM 2.29.1, Win7 Pro SP1.

Got some incoming spam that SM didn't recognize today (selling drugs I
don't need), so I closed the message pane (to avoid opening and
displaying the spam), selected them, and pressed "J." As expected, the
messages vanished (I later confirmed they had moved to the Junk folder,
where they were marked as read, as expected).

Unexpectedly, the moment I pressed "J," the message pane opened,
displaying the next surviving message in the folder. Also unexpectedly,
the message "SeaMonkey regards this message as junk" remained, even
though an innocuous message NOT marked as junk was selected and
displayed. Moreover, as I navigated among other unmarked messages in the
folder, the message "SeaMonkey regards this message as junk" persisted
for all messages in the folder. It only disappeared when I navigated to
a different folder. When I returned, the innocuous messages previously
called "junk" were now unmarked, and no message appeared.

This misleading display could lead users to mistakenly mark good
messages as junk by pressing "J" in an attempt to toggle junk marking,
and could foul up the JMC training.

I have been frustrated by this for quite a while, hoping that it would go away during some future release. All of my computers behave the same: my personal machine (Win 7), the office accounting machine (win 7) and the computer in the shop (Win XP). This is what I observe:

Configuration-- In Layout -->> classic view selected thread pane and folder pane selected, message pane deselected. I like this configuration for the sake of security because I can easily go through the listing and delete things I am not interested in or tag them as junk without the message being rendered or processed. Perhaps I'm just fooling myself.

When you tag a message in the inbox as junk, the message pane opens up unexpectedly and stays operational thereafter. In order to get back to the desired configuration, you have to select Layout/view message pane (to turn it on even though it is ON)and then toggle it off to get it off. Or, you must play with the little control widget on the pane to first turn it on (duh, it's on already!) and then turn it off.

Its not such a big thing that deserves a temper tantrum. But it needs attention someday.