Barry Edwin Gilmour wrote on 01/11/14 09:21:
NFN Smith wrote on 01/11/14 00:12:
I'm one of the people who actually makes use of the Seamonkey Composer. Yes, I know that it's unsupported, and that it has numerous limitations and annoyances, but I've found it to be useful for quick-and-dirty HTML editing.

Over the last few days, I've found problems with the composer, in that it's not letting me edit anything. I don't think that's related to upgrading to SM 2.30, but likely something funky in my user profile. I have found that if I use Safe Mode, the composer is working OK.

Rather than trying to debug profile settings, or rebuild a profile, I've been using Komposer, and that seems to be working fine, where the operational procedure is nearly identical to the Composer. (I know that Blue Griffon is newer, and that's where the development work is being applied, but I find that one frustrating, in that it's difficult to resize fonts quickly. Thus, for what I'm doing it looks like Kompozer is adequate).

In the process, I'm finding that the one thing that I really miss about the Composer is the keyboard shortcut used to launch it. It's really nice to be viewing an HTML file, and simply press CTRL-E to open, and start editing. By contrast, with Kompozer (or for that matter, any other HTML editor), I have to do the combination of opening the editor, and then navigating to find the file. It's minor, but annoying.

The question I have is whether there's a way of creating a keyboard shortcut that replicates this function: call a specified HTML editor to edit the file that's being viewed. (I'm assuming that CTRL-E is hard-coded into Seamonkey to call the Composer element, and can't be redirected to call an external program).

Smith

Unsure if it helps, but on Linux, ctrl-4 calls composer-window and ctrl-e calls the messaging compose-window. HTH. SeaMonkey "top-toolbar / Help / Composer" has a nice table of editing keystroke-shortcuts that may also be useful to you.
Apologies for the noise! Ctrl-E does still open a HTML file to be edited. (I learn something every day!). Did you try enabling/disabling your addons, for a conflict problem? A problem addon has caught me a couple of times in the past.