On 12/19/2014 10:07 PM PT, NoOp typed:

I used to be able to copy my bookmarks from one PC to another by
simply
copying this file, but as of two releases ago this no longer works.
Any
idea why?

I was having problems with my places.sqlite in v2.29 after I upgraded
from v2.26.1. I manually share, like you, my file between Debian
stable's 64-bit SM and two Windows machines (XP Pro SP3 and 64-bit
7 EE
SP1). I noticed my histories got corrupted like missing events. I
had to
export my bookmarks and reimport as a new one/1. :(

Is this what you were having problems with? I am still with v2.26.1
and
afraid to upgrade. :/

That's the problem, yes.  I have to use the bookmarks.html file now to
import the bookmarks rather than places.sqlite.

Interesting. I wonder what happened after v2.26.1. This why I downgraded
and never went back up. :(

Eureka!  I found it!  There were FOUR files all prefixed by
"places.sqlite" including the original file.  If I delete all four and
copy in the "places.sqlite" from my Windows system to my Linux system,
it works!  I only have to copy that one file.

Again, this wasn't necessary until 2.29 came along, so I wonder what
changed??

Probably turned on temp files to speed-up the database:

<https://www.sqlite.org/tempfiles.html>

Hmm, I always copy with SM exited. Maybe I should try again after I make a SM backup! ;)
--
"An anthill increases by accumulation. / Medicine is consumed by distribution. / That which is feared lessens by association. / This is the thing to understand." --Siddha Nagarjuna