On 04/02/15 16:27, HenriK wrote:
Maybe it is because I am well along in years, but I seem to be having
multiple problems with the 'empty trash' and 'compact folders' commands.
  I.e., things are being deleted that I don't want to delete and that
are then very difficult to recover.

Has the way these commands are implemented changed in v.2.32 compared to
v.2.30?

Is there some buried option that I have inadvertently failed to turn off
when I reinstalled SM?  (I had wanted to stay with v.2.30 but failed to
reset the option that automatically downloads upgrades and have ended up
with v.2.32).

Anyway, any suggestions, advice, or whatever will be greatfully received.

Henrik, your inbox file (the one without the ".msf" filename extension) contains all the e-mails that you have received since you last File->Compact Files, even the e-mails that you have "Deleted" (O.K., maybe not the e-mails that you have purposely moved to another file location).

So, if you look at the inbox file in a text reader such as Notepad/Wordpad, you can see all these e-mails, even those you thought you had deleted.them.

Part of the header information is altered to indicate the message status (Unread, Read, Deleted, etc.). When you delete a message, it is still in your inbox file, just not displayed, and it is only when you File->Compact Files that these messages (that have been marked as Deleted) are actually deleted and the drive space taken up by the message is returned to your system.

I don't think the implementation has changed since Netscape Suite days.

HTH

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.32 Build identifier: 20141218225909
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.32 Build identifier: 20150101220549