thee.chicago.w...@gmail.com wrote:

> I of course did not use "port1,port2" as the values for the
> network.security.ports.banned.override setting. Was there anything of
> value in the error message I posted from the error console?

First I tried to connect to mail.cbeyond.com:110 with STARTTLS and got:

> Error: Attempted to connect to a site with a bad certificate in the add
> exception dialog. This results in a (mostly harmless) exception being thrown.
> Logged for information purposes only: [Exception... "Establishing a
> connection to an unsafe or otherwise banned port was prohibited"  nsresult:
> "0x804b0013 (NS_ERROR_PORT_ACCESS_NOT_ALLOWED)"  location: "JS frame ::
> chrome://pippki/content/exceptionDialog.js :: checkCert :: line 109"  data:
> no]
> Source File: chrome://pippki/content/exceptionDialog.js
> Line: 115

Then I set network.security.ports.banned.override;110 and tried again.
This time I got two error messages:

> Error: Attempted to connect to a site with a bad certificate in the add
> exception dialog. This results in a (mostly harmless) exception being thrown.
> Logged for information purposes only: [Exception... "Establishing a
> connection to an unsafe or otherwise banned port was prohibited"  nsresult:
> "0x804b0013 (NS_ERROR_PORT_ACCESS_NOT_ALLOWED)"  location: "JS frame ::
> chrome://pippki/content/exceptionDialog.js :: checkCert :: line 109"  data:
> no]
> Source File: chrome://pippki/content/exceptionDialog.js
> Line: 115
>
> Error: mail.cbeyond.com:110 uses an invalid security certificate.
> The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed.
> The certificate is only valid for the following names:
>   EXCAS112, EXCAS112.mmeprod.cbeyond
> (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

Then I changed the setting to SSL/TLS.  This made Seamonkey switching
the port to 995 in the Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings.  So I opened
about:config and did set to network.security.ports.banned.override;995

Finally I tried to pull new mail and got the password dialog. So the
secure connnection was successful.  Error Console had some irrelevant
message from the mail server:

> Error: mail.cbeyond.com : server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555

Result: Use SSL/TLS and open port 995.

Hb