In <news:je2dnbg4wpqndkninz2dnuu7-a-dn...@mozilla.org>,
Richard Owlett <rowl...@pcnetinc.com> wrote:

> My focus is link failure while transfer in process. At home I'm on
> dialup. High speed access is via occasionally flaky wifi hotspot at
> local library.
>
> I found two sub-classes:
>    1. link failure while paused - no problem.
>    2. link failure while transferring - it will restart at *VERY*
> beginning of file.

That's a longstanding problem with Mozilla browsers.  (The download
manager in Firefox had some work done on it that improved the
situation, but I think SM still uses older code.  I could be wrong
about this.)

You might try an extension meant to help manage downloading.  I don't
use one, but the one that was most often recommended to Fx users is
still available for SeaMonkey,
<https://addons.mozilla.org/seamonkey/addon/downthemall/>.