HenriK wrote:
2)  I believe that this is an old problem but how to I assure that SM,
particularly the profile info (mail, bookmarks, etc.), is installed in
the HD partition on my choice and not simply put into the same HD
partition as the Win7 files?  (I prefer to keep most of the OS files in
their own partition rather as it makes backups easier to handle.  I
appreciate that some application info has to remain co-located with the
OS files).

Pointers to where I can find detailed info on either of these points
will be most appreciated.  Thanks, in advance, for any and all
assistance, suggestions, or whatever.

If you're working in Windows, there's two ways of going about doing that -- you can either copy data directly, or you can use a tool called MozBackup.

For this, the driver is the profiles.ini file, which you'll find in %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey. That one has all the pointers to the physical location the data.

There are some users that insist on moving the profiles.ini to the new machine, and then editing that file to point to where your profile contents are actually stored.

It's also a valid approach to start Seamonkey, and let it start the profile creation wizard, and then after aborting, copy the contents of the profile from the old system to the new location. One of the options in the profile manager is that it allows you to specify the location of where you're locating your data.

Either approach is valid, it's just a question if you want to re-use the exact name of the profile (including the random characters), or you trust the profile manager to do it for you. If you're moving only one profile, I would be content to let the system do the work for you. However, if you're moving more than one profile, you might feel more comfortable by doing your own editing on profiles.ini.

Once you have the profile created, then it's pretty easy to just copy the content of the profile from the old machine, into the new location.

If you use MozBackup, you do need to have your profiles created on the new machine, before making a move. From there, when restoring a profile, MozBackup will allow you to select which profile you want to copy data into.

For MozBackup, it's mostly a front-end that copies all your profile content into a .ZIP-format archive, and gives you a few parameters, including choosing which profile to copy, what parts of the profile you want to copy (if you don't want to copy it all), and an option of password-protecting the content. In the new location, the process is pretty much reversed, it's just that you have to make sure you've created (and in your case, located) profiles on the new machine.

I don't currently use non-default locations for my profiles (although I have in the past), the last time I moved to a new machine, I used MozBackup do all the work, and I had multiple profiles in Seamonkey, Firefox and Thunderbird. The only hiccup I saw was that some extensions didn't get installed after the transfer (although I had all the data). Thus, I had to take a minute to reinstall several of my extensions.

Whether you do your work entirely in the file system, or you allow the profile manager to create your profiles or you manually transfer profile content, or let MozBackup do it for you, any of those will work adequately, even with a non-standard location. Which method you choose is mostly going to depend where you're most comfortable.

Smith