Daniel wrote:
On 12/07/2015 9:49 PM, A Williams wrote:
Daniel wrote:
On 12/07/2015 4:41 AM, Cruz, Jaime wrote:
With being almost three months behind on security updates I couldn't
take a chance anymore.  I left my desktop system up on Seamonkey but
I've switched over to Firefox/Thunderbird on my laptop since I never
know from where I'll be connecting from one week to the next.

Fortunately, the transition was easy enough.  Just had to copy the
entire contents of the Seamonkey folder into the Firefox and
Thunderbird
folders after they were installed.  I did notice that although Firefox
installed as a sub-folder in my existing .mozilla folder, Thunderbird
created its profile directory outside in its own .thunderbird
folder.  I
thought that was a bit odd.

Jamie, does this mean that when you install a new Firefox version (not
upgrade, but complete new version) will the new Firefox write itself
over the top of your profile??

No.  firefox and seamonkey are both subfolders under the .mozilla
directory.  That has been the case for many years now.

Not a problem!! Just, the way I read Jamie's post, the profile was being
created as a sub-directory of the actual Firefox program install, so, if
you deleted the Firefox program, you would also delete the profile.

If that's not the case, no problem!!

Jaime is posting under Linux (the user agent), and a directory called ".mozilla" is also a clear indication that we are not talking Windows here. The install directory is most probably under /usr (or possibly /opt) but the data is under /home. Having said that, there really is no problem here - that's simply the way things are.