On 10/06/2015 03:55 PM, HilsB wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>>> How about resampling images for email. Say reduce to no larger than 600
>>> or 800 px on a side. I use ImageMagick on Linux and IrfanViewer on
>>> Windows to batch reduce images for web use.
>>>
>>> The advantage is is manifold. The embedded image will not be too big to
>>> be viewed by the recipient for typical monitor resolution.
>>>
>>> Next scaling with constraining HTML attributes does not REDUCE the data
>>> size of the image. Whereas resampling an image will, and such reduction
>>> can dramatically reduce the size in bytes. No everyone has real
>>> broadband and may have limited data plans
>>>
>>> Lastly email's legacy was a text-only protocol, so binary data must be
>>> encoded to character data. Such encoding can balloon binary data often
>>> doubling its size making the bandwidth issue worse. So that fresh from
>>> the camera 5-10MB image can easily balloon to 7-20MB when encoded for
>>> SMTP.
>>>

>> For Windows, give the freeware FastStone Image Viewer a spin - the email
>> option (File|Email|Send Email) automatically defaults to a 640x480
>> resize, which you can change of course from 120x90 to 2272x1704 (or
>> custom size). You can also compress multiple images into a single file
>> for the email attachement. Email option works (for me) flawlessly with
>> SeaMonkey.
>>
>> http://www.faststone.org/index.htm
>>    http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDownload.htm
>>
>> The FastStone Photo Resizer is also free also & works well:
>> http://www.faststone.org/download.htm
>>
> Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'll just continue to use the 'resize'
> within mail composer.
> My friend no longer has the ability to manipulate files, is easily confused
> and frustrated.
> My best to you all.

I'm confused... if you use FastStone to view your photographs, select
the one's that you want to send, and use the File|Email option the
photos are resized to your liking. Your friend can then view the photos
in the email at a size he likes as well. Why don't you load it up and
give it a try?

Oh wait... you weren't kind enough to tell us what OS you are using, so
let me guess from your headers: Mac

Never mind - I only use linux & Windows