Edmund Wong wrote:

Gerry Hickman wrote:
Hi,

I don't fully understand the cause of the issue (client cert, server
cert, string mismatch), but I did notice some about:config values in my
own correctly updated 2.38 version.

I wonder if they change
app.update.cert.requireBuiltIn
true -> false
would it allow them to get past the error and receive the new version?

The basic issue is that around 2.38b1 (iirc), we had changed certs,
so anything < 2.38b1 won't be able to upgrade to the latest version
and will require a full download and install.

So while 2.38 -> 2.39 works,  2.x -> 2.38+  (where x <38) won't update.

My recollection is 2.35, but either way, the point is you have to install one update manually to get past the certificate issue, and from then on auto updates will work again.

Paul B. Gallagher